Sunday 5 August 2012

Day 10 - Blink and you'll miss it

August 5th


What are you all doing here? Don't you know there's a test match going on? Honestly, there's some proper sport going on right now and everyone is ignoring it for some running. Go here to get all the facts.

The noise you hear is me sighing

Apparently there was a high profile race today whereby 8 men ran really fast for 100m. I've counted them; they register, but to be honest the 800m they contributed is sod all in the great scheme of things because today we had the Women's marathon. It pretty much destroyed the numbers we were adding together. More than 4 and a half million metres in one event almost makes this whole thing irrelevant.

Only almost though. So having recorded the biggest numbers so far I'd like to honour the people who've made the smallest contribution to our total. Here every metre counts so please join me, charge your glasses and give some love to ChantaeSofia and Louise. All these women managed to jump 1.56m in the Women's Heptathlete High Jump. 1.56m is likely the smallest number I'll ever have to enter into the spreadsheet that counts all of this but I did have to enter it.

Still, think about it. 1.56m. Upwards. Could you jump it? I couldn't and so I'd like us all to take a moment to cheer those women right now because every metre counts and they've all contributed to the number at the top right of this page.

Elsewhere, both of our football teams went out and I'll have more on that tomorrow, Andy (come on Tim) Murray won the hearts of the nation along with his Gold while John McEnroe just won our hearts and Ben Ainslie became pretty much the most successful sailor ever. (He night want to update his website though).

Numbers


Swimming: 0m. Not a damn thing, I'm sad to be honest, I thought we had a thing going.
Running: 4,623,665m
Jumping: 838.31m
Throwing: 3,596.61m
Total: 4,628,099.92m

which gives us overall numbers of

Swimming: 493,000m
Running: 7,010,865m
Jumping: 3,761.94
Throwing: 19,322.07m
Total: 7,526,949.01m

In terms of vertical jumping we're at 805.08m. Burj Khalifa we are coming for you.

R

You can follow me on Twitter at @Le_Paien_Roux


No comments:

Post a Comment