Friday 3 August 2012

Day 8 - Be careful what you wish for.

August 3rd

So having spent the best part of a week complaining about only having swimming to measure I finally got a full program of events today.

I'm not going to lie. It was a bit more than I anticipated. Running is easy to count, you just need to know how far the race is and how many people finish it. Nice and simple. Jumping and throwing however are a different kettle of fish, and it's no longer a kettle; and they're no longer fish.

Never mind, we still have some proper numbers to work with from this point on so there's a good chance you'll be spared any more dull anecdotes.

Except for this one:

Turns out that noticing a girl has coordinated her make up to her clothes is a good thing. Noticing again that specifically her eye-shadow matches her top is also acceptable. Noticing that her eye-shadow matches her bra strap though (which it TOTALLY did btw), bit of a mis-step.

[/anecdote]

Anyway, today was the first day where we had everything happening and again I've had to re-think my comparative measures.

I'd thought that famous buildings would do for the high jump and pole-vault but the Women Heptathletes today managed a massive 284.79m in the high jump. That is enough to clear the Trump Building.

Go on, you try jumping it.
That's just the heptathletes, we haven't had the actual high-jumpers let alone the pole-vaulters yet so buildings might be off the table for this. Mountains maybe? Possibly we can just add a couple of the smaller ones together, lets just see how we go from here. Any ideas then let me know.

Numbers


Swimming: 72,700m
Running: 441,700m
Jumping: 1806.12m
Throwing: 9078.80m
Total: 525,284.92m

Which gives us an overall of:

Swimming: 391,700m
Running: 441,700m
Jumping: 1806.12m
Throwing: 9078.80m
Total total: 844,284.92m

That's enough to do an awful lot of stuff on land and in the water. I accept my guilt for not working this stuff out sooner but really, that is an amazing distance, it's like 525 miles. I'd been saving the idea of swimming from Cuba to Florida but that is apparently only 90 miles and so no longer any use to us. I guess the best I can offer right now is the old faithful Route-master London Bus.

The overall total so far is equivalent to 751,811.301 Route-master buses.

I'll work out some better comparability terms for tomorrow. I hope to see you then

R

You can follow me on Twitter at @Le_Paein_Roux







No comments:

Post a Comment